Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Lenten Lessons

As I was walking today I realized that this Sunday is Easter Sunday. Maybe realized isn't the right word. Maybe it's more like a leap in my soul at the understanding that on Sunday many of us will be celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I grew up in the Catholic tradition and have participated in Lent almost all my life. As a child, it was not eating meat on Friday or trying to abstain from something or trying to add new disciplines to our lives that were different from the norm. One of my mom's best ideas was what we called 'lenten letters'. All of us (even my parents) would sit down every Sunday of Lent and write a letter to someone we loved, usually an out of town family member.

I've experienced varying degrees of feeling connected to lenten tide and Easter. Sometimes Easter Sunday is this feast for my soul after fasting for 40 days, but the last couple of years have been very uneventful. It is always my desire to participate fully but often times I get distracted and Easter arrives and seems no different than 'ordinary time'.

The last 2 years have been really tough. Life is tough, in general, for all of us. But since we moved to Seattle we have dealt with some fairly huge things. God's been faithful through all of it. One of the hardest things about this time is not having a feeling of being called to people here in Seattle. I'm sure it's our ability to hear the calling that was impaired. At first we needed to learn some things in the absence of community. But it seems that the time for this is over and we are compelled to stop just dipping our toes in and to jump head first into relationship building.

It's been a 'lenten season' the last two years on an emotional and spiritual level. It has brought us closer to each other and closer to God.

Today I realized that I'm ready for Easter this year. I'm ready to break through the death part (I still have to get through Good Friday) and really submit to celebrating the resurrection.

6 comments:

MamaToo said...

Beautiful. Praise to the One who resurrects us and gives us hope for a future!
You have such a sweet and honest heart - certainly needed in that great city of yours! Jesus loves those rainy-city folks and has you there for His good purposes.
Thank you for sharing such a fresh perspective. It is planted by the Master Gardener, but in soil faithfully tended by His servant.

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

Thanks for the kinds words, friend. And thanks for loving me during my 'holy week'.

Auz said...

Cita,
I'm so grateful for your blog, God has blessed with you with so many gifts. I didn't realize what a wonderful writer you are! Thank you for sharing your gifts with me!
- Auz

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

Hey Auz,
Welcome to my blog...and thanks for the kind words. :)
I don't feel all that proficient at the art of writing but I'm glad for a chance to practice.

Judy Callarman, Scrabble Has-Been said...

This is precious; you are very genuine. I was thinking myself the other day that my heart has been distracted this Easter--and I've missed being deeply involved in my spirit, as I usually am at Easter.

Here is a Seattle-area Christian blogger: http://butnotlost.blogspot.com

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

Welcome, Judy. Thanks for the kind words. Luckily Easter is a celebration of something that is available daily. :) At least that was alot of what i learned this year.:) And thanks for the link...i'll check it out.