Sunday, January 13, 2008

"How's living at your parent's house?"

In the three and a half months that we've been in my parent's house I've been asked this question several times. And my answer usually goes something like this, "It's great!" Sometimes I'm as surprised by my answer as other folks.

All things considered living with my parents has been pretty enjoyable. My folks have pretty good boundaries and are able to let us do what we need to do and they feel free to do what they need to do.

Even my husband doesn't really complain about living here.

There are a couple of things that make living with my folks more time consuming than just living with my husband and my son. First, there are two more people in the house. Relationships take time and since I want to have relationships with my parents I tend to want to sit down and talk with them. Second, we live on the other side of town from our church and most of our close friends. We spend allot of time in the car driving up and down 99E.

Originally we talked with my parents about staying with them for "a couple of months". Now, it looks like we'll be here for about 5 more months. My parents have been nothing but gracious to us. They don't seem at all bothered by how long we might need to stay. They never make us feel ashamed of the fact that we need their help.

In short, living with my parents is a gift. A beautiful, undeserved gift.

2 comments:

Llama Momma said...

You do realize how blessed you are? It sounds like you do.

Blessings to you and your beautiful famiy!

Audrey said...

Seeing you, your husband and the babe at the house, has been a gift to me :) It's like 5 of my favorite people under one roof! oh yah and the dogs (their not on the top of my list).
love ya - Auz