Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Now That I'm 35

This last birthday felt significant to me.

I feel older. And tired. The late night and early morning feedings don't help much. :)

It's been a rough year and things don't seem to be settling down yet.

Our parents are having significant health problems. We're in debt up to our eyeballs. We're all on anti-depressants. You know...the usual life stuff.

A few months ago I was really depressed. And I was struggling with what seemed like an overwhelming load of obligations. Turns out I have post-pardum depression.

Funny thing is, if it weren't for my two boys, my life would be void of so much beauty. I would miss out on watching my older son pretend his fishing hat is a cowboy hat. And I would be missing out on receiving that BEAMING smile from my six month old when I talk to him. Or the way my baby coos in my ear when I hold him close. Or the way my three year old says, "Hi, Mama!" in his purely unique and totaly cute way.

I spent most of my birthday with my kids (since it was Monday and my husband was at work) and we had a GREAT day. Of course, neither of my children really understand what birthdays are yet. We did a bunch of things I wanted to do. I think if I had really thought about it I would have asked for some time off from the kids for my birthday, but I didn't and I'm really glad for that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday, Miss Maria. I hope you are feeling more hopeful soon; I absolutely understand how some YEARS can be. Makes ya want to say "enough already." You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathi
Of the UTC Variety

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

Thanks, Kathi! I appreciate the encouragement!

Smile said...

Parents' health issues suck. I wish parents and grandparents would always stay healthy :( Our kids too!