Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Unit

Admittedly, I watch too much TV!

My husband and I often get hooked on a TV show and then we have to buy the whole season on DVD to watch them in succession. Really it's a form of gluttony.

My husband loves this show called "The Unit". It's about an elite army task force that does things that the government never admits really happens - all top secret stuff. My husband jokes with me by saying, "I think I'm going to join the army, so I can be in 'the unit'. " Since one of my husband's stock phrases is, "I have a delicate system." we both know that this is just his male fantasy running away with him.

One of the big issues on "The Unit" is the issue of secrecy. It's a security issue. None of the wives of these soldiers ever know where they are going, what they are doing, or when they will return. The wives DO know that they work in an elite super secret task force, but they have all been trained to say, "My husband is a clerk with the 303rd Logistical Unit." You cannot tell your mother, sister, children that your husband is the elite of the elite soldiers.

Last night I turned to my husband and said, "Baby, you could never be in 'the unit' because of me." He said,"You're right you can't keep a secret to save your life." It's true (for the most part). I have a bit of a warped sense about the importance of MOST information being kept from others - especially people I know love me and usually love the person who is trying to keep this information under wraps.

So, baby, I'm sorry that I've ruined your chances of becoming an elite fighting machine. Maybe we can find something else for you to dream about in your spare time.

No comments: