Tuesday, February 20, 2007

When Our Babies Sleep

Do you think the average person would be surprised by what stay-at-home parents do while their children sleep?

Maybe it's just my own preconceptions about being a wife and a mom. I struggle with having the cooking, cleaning, and childcare in tip-top shape. There are lots of other things I would like to do during my son's nap time. I usually use that time to read and/or study. I try to make sure I get time in scripture and after that I like to read things that inspire me. Sometimes it's CS Lewis, sometimes it's a book on leadership, sometimes it's a great piece of fiction, sometimes it's blogs. Allot of the time when I read it help me start dreaming. I start dreaming about the ways God might use me. I have to be a little bit careful when this happens because sometimes I get really caught up in what I'm able to do well...I have performance issues. I'm scared to fail so I often start limiting God's plan based on what I think I can do well.

Of course, the work we are doing in our homes is very important. The time I have with my son is very precious and deeply important work. I'm helping to form another human being that will make his own impact on this world. But after a time I believe I will be called to work outside the home again. Maybe that will be when my children start going to school - maybe it will be when they start college - I don't really know when it will be. But I want to be ready.

I hope folks aren't counting us stay-at-home parent's out. I know of plenty of women (I don't personally know any men but I'm sure they are out there) that do alot cooler and more exciting things than read while their babies sleep. We're like soldiers training undercover waiting for the right time to make our next big impact in this world.

1 comment:

MamaToo said...

this topic has really been at me lately - so good to "hear" your thoughts here and can't wait to continue the story with you.