Tuesday, August 21, 2007

When the Gentle Nudge Becomes A Shove

I used to work for a man who loved to talk about giving "gentle nudges" in order to affect a "one degree shift" or change. And I like this idea. Yeah...let's "nudge" each other in the right direction. It gives an impression of caring about good change but not shoving it down some one's throat. However, I find that sometimes, after a ton of gentle nudges, what I need is a swift kick in the rear.

For me right now these changes I need to make are relational. I have some serious hang ups about a couple of relationships that are always going to be a part of my life. To tell you the truth I don't think I know the real reasons why these relationships are so hard for me. But I have hardened my heart to these people and it's just plain wrong. My husband has had enough and I don't blame him.

I guess the only thing left to say is...please pray for me. Pray the God will soften my heart and help me build a new way of relating to these people.

3 comments:

MamaToo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaToo said...

my comment only caught the last line... maybe a hint for brevity? :)

I was going to say that nudging, even a big shove, is safe when done in love... the safety net of forgiveness and restoration is waiting for us. I wonder what it would be like to forgive for the things we could never understand - ways we've been treated that we simply would never replicate to another? Would it make us more like our savior? indeed.

I'll be praying - an echoing from my own heart.

Auz said...

What a great comment. I'm sure we all face situations and people that are just so difficult to understand and relate to. I'm having the same experience at work and I'm just stuck with how to deal with it. I know I need to be honest about how I feel and the resentment I've been holding onto, but I don't know how to approach this person without getting emotional or defensive. It's just the invisible wall that intimidates the hell out of me, but I know God put it there for a reason and by breaking through it I can find him.