Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Tempations of Christ

As I was reading my bible this morning I seemed to get stuck on Christ's responses to Satan's temptations that appear in Matthew.

They are as follows:

Matt 4:4
But he answered, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread along, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.' "

Matt 4:7
"Again it is written,'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.' "

Matt 4:10
Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve,' "

A couple of thoughts:

1.) I have some very selfish reasons for wanting to be able to live Jesus' first response - maybe I would eat less food. (I'm not trying to be funny - just honest)

2.) what's the difference between 'putting God to the test' and 'taste and see that the Lord is good' - the only thing that comes to mind is that the motive is probably different. (I need to do some research on this)

3.) why didn't Jesus say "Be gone, Satan!" after the first temptation Satan threw out. I assume that Jesus understood the Father's will for there to be three temptations before Jesus would be given the power to make Satan go away. But I wonder if maybe Satan's request was SO offensive that Jesus needed to cast him out. The idea of Satan just coming out and asking Jesus to worship him was so off the charts unacceptable (and definately less sublte than the other requests) that it was time for Satan to go.

No comments: