Friday, March 9, 2007

One Tired Mama

My son turned 7 months this last week....and POOF he changed. OK he got sick - and that has shown me a boy that I've never known before.

On our last trip to Portland he caught a bug from somewhere. And on Tuesday he woke up with a fever and pretty constant diarrhea (probably more than you wanted to know, but he's a baby and if you have one you know how much your life starts to revolve around poop). First of all this is the first full fledged fever he's had - it really is sad to watch your super active little dude become so lethargic. My son is also (only by the grace of a loving God) pretty laid back. Usually, I can count on him to fuss only when he needs something. This has changed a little bit as he gets older because his needs start to depend more on how much interaction he gets, but I would never call him a 'needy' or 'clingy' child.

So his fever is gone and his poop is looking allot better but he is now incredibly whiny. I'm sure this is all very normal ('perfectly healthy, perfectly normal' as my husband would say in his best therapist voice). But where has my baby gone?

I'm trying hard not to let this become a piss and moan session - a long list of my hardships over the last 48 hours.

My point is how surprised I am at the change in his personality. I'm trying to keep faith that his old self will completely return, but maybe not. Maybe a different side of his personality has emerged and I'm getting to know more of my son instead of a different son.

Lord, help us keep our heads up. Help us get over this time with grace and an increased understand of the daily mercies you shower upon us.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

After being sick (especially the first time) they got so much attention from Mommy, and enjoyed it so much that now they developed the cuddle-bug. :)
Mine is almost 2 and still has the cuddle-bug.
Glad he's doing better!

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

Thanks, Suzanne. I appreciate your comment!! I'm cool with the cuddling - it's the fussiness that's killin' me. :)