Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Volf and Bonhoeffer on Tuesday Morning

"Is the scandal of the cross good enough reason to give up on it? Let me respond by noting that there is no genuinely Christian way around the scandal. In the final analysis, the only available options are either to reject the cross and with it the core of the Christian faith or to take up one's cross, follow the Crucified - and be scandalized ever anew by the challenge. As the Gospel of Mark reports, the first disciples followed and were scandalized (14:26ff.). Yet they continued to tell the story of the cross, including the account of how they abandoned the Crucified. Why? Because precisely in the scandal, they have discovered a promise. In serving and giving themselves for others (Mark 10:45), in lamenting and protesting before the dark face of God (15:34), they found themselves in the company of the Crucified. In his empty tomb they saw the proof that the cry of desperation will turn into a song of joy and that the face of God will eventually 'shine' upon a redeemed world."

Miroslav Volf, Exclusion and Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness, and Reconciliation



"...Whether we really have found God's peace will be shown by how we deal with the suffering that will come upon us. There are many Christians who do indeed kneel before the cross of Jesus Christ, and yet reject and struggle against every tribulation in their own lives. They beleive they love the cross of Christ, and yet they hate the cross in their own lives. And so in truth they hate the cross of Jesus Christ as well, and in truth despise that cross and try by any means possible to escape it. Those who acknowledge that they view suffering and tribulation in their own lives only as something hostile and evil can see from this very fact that they have not at all found peace with God. They have basically merely sought peace with the world, believing possibly that by means of the cross of Jesus Christ they might best come to terms with themselves and with all their questions, and thus find inner peace of the soul. They have used the cross, but not loved it. They have sought peace for their own sake. But when tribulation comes, that peace quickly flees them. It was not peace with God, for they hated the tribulation God sends."

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Sermon on Romans 5:1-5, March 9, 1938, Gross Schloenwitz, Collective Pastorate

6 comments:

MamaToo said...

This was topic of discussion last night at Life Group, so I wish I would have read your post earlier! Fantastic excerpts from hard, but good, reading. Thanks for the challenge - it will give me much to continue thinking about today.

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

Yes, these quotes are challenging aren't they! God keeps bringing this theme up for me. Helping me shift - to an attitude of "What is this current challenge all about?" instead of "Please take this challenge from me."

MamaToo said...

hey! You redecorated! :) Nice digs... very clean & modern.

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

YES! I did! :) Thanks! LlamaMama inspired me.

MamaToo said...

Again on these quotes:
Yet they continued to tell the story of the cross, including the account of how they abandoned the Crucified. Why? Because precisely in the scandal, they have discovered a promise.
I love how this continues to roll around in my brain. I've had to think about how I speak of Jesus... how have I told the gospel (in word & deed)? Have I always shared those things that would shame me? Do I allow myself to know - no, delight in knowing - the scandal of my salvation? I'm not sure, but it's never too late (or early) to be mindful.

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

What wonderful questions!! Those words are definately worth the reflection. I'm still chewing on them myself.