Saturday, December 9, 2006

Those Crazy Benedictines

I love the Benedictines. No, I haven't read the entire The Rule of Benedict, but from what I've seen these guys are on the right track. I don't know if you've seen the TV show on The Learning Channel called The Monastary. It takes place at The Monastary of Christ in the Desert which is in New Mexico. They have a great web site. You can shop there, read the homily for the week, and the abbot also writes a weekly letter. I actually bought some Christmas gifts from their store (hopefully they will arrive in time for Christmas - monks aren't really known for their speed - part of the reason I like 'em).

Basically, they love Jesus and they have a great desire to share their faith and way of life with others. They live simple lives with very little intellectual, emotional, and material clutter. And they do have nuns and sisters that live in their own Benedictine communities. I've thought for some time now that if my husband were to leave this earth before me that I would go live with the Benedictines. That's a long way off, I hope. Until then I'll keep up with some of the communities via internet.

Peace be with you.

No comments: