Monday, May 21, 2007

Feeding our Neighbors

In the not so distant past a few of my favorite bloggers have written about issues of hunger and nutrition thanks mostly to Hunger Awareness Week. Being the practical person that I am and really wanting to help I'm on a mission to learn about what kind of things are being done and how those of us who feel called can get involved.

I know there are really cool things happening in the city right now. Folks are trying to bring quality fresh food to places were it's hard to find OR too expensive - I also know that it's still a small movement. My prayer is that somehow I'll help expand the movement and be educated enough to get involved in a very personal way.

So, I'm going to use my blog to track and share what I find. Maybe you'll find some of this interesting. AND I could certainly use help with links to information and suggestions for topics to investigate

Here's my first find. A web side called The Natural Foods Merchandiser has an article about some of the work going on in Oakland, CA (as well as mention of work in some other places around the US).

Read more about People's Grocery here.

Here's Pacific Cost Farmer's Market Association web site.

And I know allot of folks really dislike HMOs but I'm constantly amazed at what Kaiser is doing in preventative medicine. Hearing about the farmers market opportunities they are providing at some of their northern California medical offices is very exciting.

It does seem that the whole package includes availability, affordability, and education - much of which People's Grocery is involved with. You can't FORCE people to eat well. But it's such a shame that it's hardest for those who have the greatest need.

No comments: