Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Recipe for Left Over Meat

I am a big fan of the roast. I'm trying to perfect my roast chicken and my husband and I love to eat the leg and thigh hot out of the oven. Usually that leaves the breast that ends up getting used as left-overs. A pretty easy thing to use. However I'm stuggling to get my husband to eat chicken salad sandwiches - which was my first use of the meat. I found this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine. The recipe calls for 1/2 lb of cooked shrimp but I think this salad handles chicken and probably even pork and beef very well. It's a satisfying salad with nice flavor. And all in all I think it's fairly economical. WARNING: This recipe makes ALOT of salad.

Maybe you'll enjoy it too:

Soba Slaw Salad with Peanut Dressing

6 - 8 oz uncooked soba (buckwheat) noodles
6 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups grated carrot
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/2 lb shredded or chopped meat of your choice (I think you can add as much or as little meat as you want)
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I think chunky would work, too)
2 teaspoons Thai chile paste with garlic ( I love the heat, but if I'm sharing with a group I only put 1 large teaspoon of chile paste)
2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts (I usually don't add these)

1. Cook noodles, drain, rinse with cold water
2. Combine noodles, shredded cabbage, carrot, 1/2 cup green onions, and meat in a large bowl
3. Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, canola oil, peanut butter and chile paste in a small bowl; stir with whisk until blended.
4. Add dressing to noodles, cabbage, carrot, and meat.
5. Garnish with rest of the green onion and peanuts

Enjoy.

I find that this salad makes a great lunch as well as a nice snack. OK, can you tell I'm a big fan of this salad!

3 comments:

Llama Momma said...

This looks good! I love recipes that use leftovers! :-) Thanks for sharing.

MamaToo said...

made this last week, and it was terrific! I love CL mag - such yummy ideas. Thanks for sharing the chicken tip, I wouldn't have tried it that way.

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

lm - you're very welcome. I'm just now starting to get the hang of using food wisely. It's not all that easy, but totally worth it.
mt - cool! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)