Saturday, May 19, 2007

Too Good To Keep To Myself

"...I will not return to a universe

of objects that don't know each other,

as if islands were not the lost children

of one great continent..."

Lisel Meuller, monet refuses the operation





"I don't think much suprises him: this is how we make important changes - barely, poorly, slowly. And still he raises his fist in triumph."

Anne Lamott, Plan B Further Thoughts on Faith



"Even as we improve as teachers and as students, the children continue to have raging impulse-control problems; they very thing that made them spontaneous and immediate could also make them mean. One day, a mouthy eight-year-old said something insulting about my dreadlocks. Rather than hit him over the head with the Wiffle Ball bat, which was my first impulse. I sat beside him and said, 'It's only been in the last ten years that I learned how beautiful my hair and I are, so please don't say critical things about me. It hurts my feelings.'

He gaped at me and said,'You're freaking me out, Octopus Head.' "

Anne Lamott, Plan B Further Thoughts on Faith