Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mornings Like This One

On Monday my son woke up extra early so we ended up walking to the store a little before 7am. In a drastic change of course the weather has turned (dare I say it) summer-ish. It was 50 degrees and clear skies when we left the house. The baby snoozed, I did some shopping, and on our way home I had to admit that I know why so many people have settled in this part of the world. From one of the higher points in our neighborhood I could see Mt. Rainier, the Olympic Mts, and the Cascade Mts. There are not many days that I meet the formidable presence of Mt. Rainier while walking in my neighborhood. It always takes me by surprise. Upon reflection I wonder how I could forget that huge snow-capped mountain that seem so close I could touch it.

I was tired that morning. And I had spent most of the return trip physically and emotionally struggling. The way home is almost entirely uphill and my 20 lb son along with a few groceries made it so the uneven sidewalk became literal stopping blocks for the stroller. At the same time I was cursing my husband for not having to get up with my early rising son.

By the time I reached the high point in my walk, where the mountains were revealed to me, I was feeling allot better. We were starting the last 5 minutes of our walk home and it was all downhill - at least until the next time we need to walk to the store.

No comments: